Moving companies can vary in the type of services they provide so it is important that you ask up front if they are strictly a local company or if they handle long distance moves to other states. From there you can use the following guidelines in selecting experienced professionals that will safely and securely handle your property from packing boxes at Point A to unloading at Point B!
Finding Expert Interstate Removalists
- The Internet is a valuable resource in finding movers that specialize in interstate relocations so this is a good place to start. You can check out the websites and read reviews and comments that other customers have posted. This can help you weed out those companies that have developed a bad reputation for being late, no customer service or unprofessional behaviour. The website will also give you a good indicator of how they handle business based on the way it looks and operates. Find a Mover is an excellent website for getting removalist quotes and finding professional customer rated interstate removalists.
- Once you have narrowed down the list to a reasonable number of companies, it is now time to start checking out prices and getting estimates. The best way is to see if they can do a home visit so you can show them exactly what is involved as far as number of rooms, square footage of the space, special requests for difficult and fragile items. If they don’t then you need to be as specific as possible as well as giving them the new location information, timeframe and list of services.
- Compare the estimates from all the companies based on the services that they are offering to provide. Sometimes cheap is just cheap and you may not get the quality of service that you are looking for so ensure that price is a prime factor in the decision but necessarily the only factor. This can make a difference at payment time if you are paying by the hour or a flat rate.
- Ask about their experience and expertise in long distance moves and find out how their schedule works. For most companies, they can pack several households in one 18-wheeler trailer and then drop them off based on a specific route. This is an efficient plan as long as they can guarantee timely delivery for your goods and items on the agreed upon date. This method also requires that everything is packed in a secure and precise manner so that items are not falling on top of each other and breaking while in transit. They should be able to easily provide answers to your questions so that you are confident in their ability.
- If you have decided to use them for packing boxes, loading and unpacking then ensure that they plan sufficient manpower, boxes and supplies to get the job done in a reasonable amount of time. Ensure that everything is accounted for and that there is documentation for you to sign once they finish loading the truck and that the same number of boxes and furniture are unloaded on the other side.
- Professional moving companies should own the trucks that they are using to ensure that they have total control over maintenance, insurance and availability. This simplifies and cuts out any middle men when you are trying to set up the schedule.
- The AFRA (Australian Furniture Removers Association) website is a great way of verifying credentials and validating the selection that you have made.
Another great hint about customer service friendly movers is that they can usually provide you a checklist that will list all the details that need to be accomplished in the process. This is a great tool for staying on task and shows that they really do put the customer first!